Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Bedside Table Transformation

I recently took a class with Shizzle Design on using CeCe Caldwell paints.  I was inspired to change my bedroom look after some recent painting in the bathroom.   We had all the oak trim on our main floor painted white and the wallpaper stripped from the bathroom.  The bathroom was then painted with a deep berry color.   Now what color to use for towels and shower curtain... Gray was my choice and I love it.  What do you think?




Now back to updating the bedroom... I have had the same bedspread for over 11 years.   You must agree that it is time for a change.  Since the bathroom is attached to the bedroom I want to keep the color scheme flowing.  Here is my old bedside table.  The dresser matches, natural pine top with a wash of green over the rest of the piece.



Step 1
Wash the furniture with TSP, a simple inexpensive powder cleaner that is added to water.  This important step will help the paint adhere.  You can find it in the paint section of your hardware store near the paint stripper.


Step 2
I painted the piece with CeCe Caldwell's Seattle Mist, being careful to have the areas that I would later want exposed covered well with paint.  You can see the first coat drying in this photo.




Step 3
After the paint was dry (you can use a blow dryer to speed up the process) I proceeded with the second coat using CeCe Caldwell's Pittsburgh Gray.  Now let that coat dry.  I waited over 24 hours but that was not my original intention.   During the class we got word that there were tornado/storm warnings and I decided to head home.   I did not get back to my table for about a day and a half.


Step 4
Now the fun begins.  Using a wet, not damp and not dripping, rag, begin to gently rub the areas you want distressed revealing the first layer.   Don't rub too hard or you will get back to the original finish.  You can keep rinsing and re-wetting your rag as needed.  After rubbing all the edges and corners, I scrunched up my wet rag and gently rubbed the flat areas to create some dimension.   I went both with and against the grain.  Again let it dry.

Step 5
Tear a piece of paper grocery bag and use it to rub against all surfaces.   This helps make it smooth to the touch.

Step 6
Using CeCe Caldwell's clear wax and a waxing brush apply the wax.   For the entire bedside table I probably used 2 tablespoons of wax.  Work the wax into all areas going every direction with your brush.  Here is a tutorial link on applying the wax from Shizzle Design. 

Step 7
You can let the wax set a while or go right at it with a buffing brush or rag.  I used a wax brushing brush that attaches to your drill.  Easy to use and the time savings is worth it.  Another tutorial link from Shizzle Design.

Here is my finished product.




Now the fun begins... I need to paint the dresser, pick out fabric to sew window treatments, a window seat cover, pillows and possibly a new bedspread or duvet!   I will post my progress as I redecorate.  Wish me luck.








No comments:

Post a Comment