Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Thanksgiving Burlap Table Runner






Yesterday as I was thinking about my family coming to spend Thanksgiving with us I thought I needed to make it look fall-ish around here.  I went through my scraps and found some burlap.   After searching the Internet for images of painted burlap table runners, I found a few ideas I could use.

Step 1
Cut the burlap to the length you want for your table by measuring your table.  If you want it to hang over the sides I suggest adding about 16 inches giving an 8 inch drop per side.  For the width between 15 and 18 inches is common.

Step 2
If you have a sewing machine, zig-zag the cut edge to prevent fraying or turn under a 1/4 inch all around.   If you do not have a sewing machine there is a product called Fray Check that can be run along the edges to prevent the burlap from fraying.

Step 3
Now on your computer find a font that you like and print the words you want to use on your runner.  I used Zapfino font size 110 (I like the G and T on this font).  If you have access to clip art you can also print out a border or image to use.  I could not find what I wanted so I drew this wheat design on paper and then folded my paper in half to copy the image for the other side.



Step 4
Position the printed pages under the edge of your runner and secure so that burlap and paper stay stationary.  Using a fine tip black Sharpie Marker trace the image, you can see through the burlap so tracing is easy.   It's that simple, no painting involved!



Step 5
Enjoy your new table runner and think of the possibilities of your next project.   Maybe a pillow with your monogram Sharpied on!



In case you are wondering what the centerpiece is made of those are Osage Oranges from a friend's yard after the wind storm we had here two days ago.  They are not edible but should last through Thanksgiving.


No comments:

Post a Comment