Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Nursery Sewing

With an upcoming baby shower around the corner I offered to sew the nursery items... crib skirt, bumper pads, quilt and valance.  It was rewarding and I was given free reign to be creative.  Because I wanted to do this project I enjoyed it.  Some projects I wonder "what the @#&% was I thinking" but this was not one of them.

Unfortunately I do not have photos of everything I made but here is the quilt and a little stuffed elephant from scraps.







Isn't that elephant cute?   I have the tutorial for that.

Start by downloading this pdf pattern.

You will need:
1/3 yard of fabric for body 
coordinating scrap fabric for contrasting ear
embroidery floss for eye
6 inches of cording for tail or use contrasting fabric
poly-fil 
scrap of quilt batting

Step 1
Print the pattern and tape the body to the head matching solid line.  

Step 2
Fold 1/3 yard of fabric in half.   Place pattern pieces on fabric and cut.
Cut contrasting ear on folded piece of scrap fabric and on quilt batting.

Step 3
Stack ear pieces in the following order; contrasting ear right side up, ear with main fabric right side down, batting.

Step 4
Sew 1/4 inch around ear leaving side of ear open for turning.  Hint: sew with batting on top.
Clip curves, turn right side out.  Fold open edge to inside, press.

Step 5
Attach ear to head using the dotted line for placement.  I used a blanket stitch on my machine but any stitch will do.  For a more whimsical look have the contrasting fabric side facing out.

  

Step 6
Using embroidery floss and hand needle, stitch an X on both sides of head referring to pattern for placement.

Step 7
Pin the ear down to keep it away from getting caught in the seam.  Pin tail to elephant referring to pattern for placement.  


Step 8
Pin pattern pieces right sides together.  Stitch leaving opening for turning and stuffing.  Clip curves of seam allowance, turn right side out and press.

Step 9
Begin stuffing elephant by starting with the trunk and legs.  Continue stuffing but do not overstuff.   Sew opening closed by hand with a slip stitch.



Show me your creation.  I'd love to see what fabric choices you make and other additions to the pattern.









10 comments:

  1. I did my grandsons nursery in elephants and want to make this little elephant. For some reason the pattern won't download. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you received the pdf I sent via email. My husband was able to download the pdf pattern from his computer. Not sure why you could not get it. Happy sewing.

      Delete
  3. I was able to download the pattern and made the elephant this afternoon. It turned out darling. I'll take it with me next week when I go to see my grandson. I am trying to upload a picture so you can see what I made it from but it didn't up load.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see a photo, keep trying.

      Delete
  4. Am going to attempt this this afternoon. Photos to follow! Thanks for the pattern! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you get the elephant finished. Please post a photo so I can see what it looks like in a different fabric. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm making this for my daughter and stumbling a bit over the ears. (Beginner). can you provide more detail? It looks like maybe you cut the batting away from the tabs. Did you backstitch when you started and stopped the ears?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jill, I always backstitch at the beginning and end of a seam.

    I cut the batting for the ears the same as the ear fabric. After you turn it right side out, remember to tuck in the open ends of the ear, if at this point you think the batting is too thick you can trim some but I did not. When you stitch the ears onto the elephant you will see that the stitching holds it all together. Hope this helps. Send me a photo of the finished project, I would love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good day. I'm having trouble downloading the pattern for the elephant. Can you please email it to me. Thanking you in advance. Carmelita

    ReplyDelete